At Butterball, we are committed to producing healthy, high-quality turkeys in a responsible way.
Simply, animal care and well-being is central to who we are as a company, and we are committed to maintaining the health and well-being of our turkeys. Butterball is dedicated to adhering to high standards of animal care and we're engaged in ongoing efforts that include:
- A stringent, zero-tolerance policy against any form of animal mistreatment.
- An Animal Care and Well-Being Advisory Council comprised of leading specialists in animal husbandry and care, including: Dr. Temple Grandin, Colorado State University; Dr. Jesse Grimes, North Carolina State University; Dr. Colin Scanes, University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee; Dr. Joy Mench, University of California-Davis; and Dr. Yvonne Thaxton, University of Arkansas.
- Voluntarily seeking and maintaining American Humane Certified™ status through American Humane via regular audits, which are periodically unannounced. The American Humane Certified program, a program offered by American Humane, is the nation’s first independent, third-party humane certification program for farm animals. Through rigorous inspections and examinations, American Humane provides third-party, independent verification that certified producers’ care and handling of farm animals meet or exceed American Humane’s peer-reviewed, science-based animal welfare standards.
- Elimination of antibiotics labeled as growth promotants in live turkey operations, effective March 1, 2015.
- Increasing and enriching animal care and well-being training curriculum for all associates, including regular mandatory training to ensure understanding and commitment to proper processes and protocols.
- Implementing on-farm video auditing to ensure the best care and handling of our turkeys are carried out at all times.
- Offering an animal care and well-being hotline for our associates and contract workers to report mistreatment or suspected mistreatment anonymously.
Butterball also follows all animal care guidelines set by the National Turkey Federation (NTF), and continually assesses our policies, procedures, and new and emerging technologies.